24 January 2010

Embodiment in Groundedness

As a dance therapist, staying groundedness in our body is very important for the patients and also for us to stay connected with our patients and ourselves. By being grounded, it helps a therapist to be in touch with the patients and it is crucial that they feel the presence of the therapist. Our body is our tool as a dance therapist, either to move, to speak, to sense, to feel, to tune in, to clash, to model, to represent, to mirror, to support, to understand, to be presence in the non-verbal aspects. It is the energy and vibes that are being sent out via our body and movement. I learn that staying grounded keeps me neutral, to stay in focus and to be with my patients, to be where they are, to be here and now. Furthermore, groundedness brings the feelings of safety, containment and a holding place for the patients in the therapy setting. Groundedness is one of the tools that we used all the time in our therapy.  

In our training, we are taught on how to ground ourselves, what helps us to ground in our body, ways we can be grounded before we meet our patients, in the session, and after the sessions. Each therapist has his/her ways of staying grounded that belongs to him/her. As the training has taken me, I learn the art of groundedness and as time goes by, I find groundedness has become part of me, in me, within me. It does not just helps me as a therapist but also in my personal life. It helps me to stay in touch with myself, with others, and to deal with matters in a very different manner. I feel more and more grounded as I explore in becoming a therapist. I exercise it in my placement and in my daily life. I must say it feels so good to be in close connection with my body, emotion, mind and spirit. We also do grounding exercises with our patients, to be in their body and emotion, to be in touch, to connect with themselves. There are many ways of exploring groundedness and it also depends on the various group of population we work with. However, I would say it has worked amazingly with the patients.

Groundedness has become part of my life. I embody and embrace it as an essential need not just as a therapist but also in my life.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts